2018-02-22 Power, Transporter Places, Nav HUD

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2018-02-22 Power, Transporter Places, Nav HUD

Postby Haxus » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:16 pm

Power Generation
New style buildings now generate power. A building that generates power places its output into its own capacitor. Other buildings fetch power from there when they need it; they also fetch power at a slow rate to fill their own capacitor. Be sure your generators have lots of capacitor space.

Incidental Power Consumption
Incidental power consumption is attributed to building systems and lights. New style buildings consume one unit of power per minute when they are in darkness, presuming that lights are on. They consume 1/2 unit of power per minute in daylight. All buildings are now considered to have a minimum of one unit of capacitor space, if none is allocated in the design.

Power Emission
All power consumed by new style buildings is now included in the emissions of the solar system.

Building Transporter Destinations
The UIs for specifying a transporter destination now list individual buildings, of the new variety, in the same list where cities are listed. That list is now labeled Places, formerly City Town Squares. In old style cities, the town square remains the only place that can be selected as a transporter destination.

Blueprint Size Limit
The memory size limit for new spacecraft blueprints was reduced quite a lot. The old size limit would have consumed far too much server resources with just a few highly complex ship designs. Existing spacecraft designs are not affected by this change. This is a reduction in memory consumption, not in the dimensions allowed for spacecraft.

Private Galactic Messages
Some messages sent on the Galactic channel are private, such as invitations to join an empire or teleport. Those messages are only visible to the sender and the receiver. Now those private messages should stop appearing on the galactic chat shown on the web site.

Zombie Cities
Cities that decayed completely were sometimes hanging around instead of getting removed properly. They would spit out error messages periodically and otherwise waste time until the servers were restarted. That bug was fixed.

Lunar Orbit Rings
The navigator console now has an option to display rings around moons in addition to world/companion rings. Lunar rings do not appear on the console display but they do appear in the HUD overlay in the sky. When piloting a space vehicle, the option that displays orbit rings shows all rings, including lunar rings.

Navigator HUD Room Settings
The navigator station has switches to toggle wormhole lines, orbit rings, and star names. Those things become visible as an overlay in the sky, which is really cool. On new style spacecraft, those switches now configure room settings making them visible to everyone in the room.

Disappearing Vehicles
Vehicles aboard spacecraft would sometimes blink or completely disappear when aboard a spacecraft that entered or departed an atmosphere, and at other times. That bug is fixed.

Navigator Crash
Fixed a server crash resulting when a nav point was removed from a ship's route while the navigator was navigating.

Import Cargo Deadlock
Fixed a server deadlock that happened when two buildings tried to import cargo from each other simultaneously.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2018-02-22 Power, Transporter Places, Nav HUD

Postby Ikkir Isth » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:21 pm

Haxus wrote:Power Generation
New style buildings now generate power. A building that generates power places its output into its own capacitor. Other buildings fetch power from there when they need it; they also fetch power at a slow rate to fill their own capacitor. Be sure your generators have lots of capacitor space.

Speaking of, has the catch-22 power - electronic parts - power thing been taken care of yet?
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby Haxus » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:29 pm

has the catch-22 power - electronic parts - power thing been taken care of yet?

I don't think so but I made it a high priority to fix. Will likely look into it tomorrow or later today if things go ok with this update.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Kajanov » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:27 pm

You guys able to get in-game after the update?
I've been on a loading screen for a few minutes for both galaxies (Hazeron and Veil of Targoss).
<@Havear> Tymas: If it ain't broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Kajanov

Postby AnrDaemon » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:30 pm

Been half an hour on main. No dice.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby Haxus » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:34 pm

Worker servers are gang banging the SQL server big time, typical when they are loading their initial allocation of solar systems.

Give them a few more minutes.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Kajanov » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:39 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm in now.
<@Havear> Tymas: If it ain't broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Kajanov

Postby AnrDaemon » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:11 pm

Got all in, but returning back to main got stuck.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby Haxus » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:47 pm

I apologize.

There was a bit of a disaster on the servers. I made some changes to fix the problem. The servers were restarted.

I will continue monitoring the situation until the servers are running ok again.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:28 pm

Second attempt resulted in deadlocks on several servers.

I suspected there was more than one bug the first time around. I should have waded through all the carnage to be certain. This time around, I was able to trace a lockup and it is fixed.

Servers are coming up again now.
Haxus
Site Admin

Next

Return to Updates