Get rid of open, light and other buttons on screen

Suggestions and ideas for improving Shores of Hazeron

Get rid of open, light and other buttons on screen

Postby Ivan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:13 am

Seriously might aswell add walk forward, backwards turn left, turn right buttons on the screen. You know because people who play Hazeron apparently can't afford a keyboard and only play with their mouse and those who can afford a keyboard are apparently too stupid to remember a few shortcuts or too lazy to look up the controls in settings?

Sorry about this but really is it necessary to add all those things on the screen? It just creates more unnessecary garbage onscreen. I also doubt it is more convenient to first righclick and then click open helmet than to simply use shift+H while walking around to open/close your helmet. Key combinations are just fine. It just takes a minute to look them up in the controls.

Imo the buttons on screen are just annoying and convolute the UI. At least an option to turn them off would be nice, but really, I can't image anyone actually prefering them over the key bindings. But you never know, I might be the odd guy.
Ivan

Re: Get rid of open, light and other buttons on screen

Postby Deantwo » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:31 pm

They are quite useful for when you are in a vehicle. So often have I seen new people asking how to turn on a vehicle.
But yes I am not sure I like the idea of them being visible like that at all times. Especially since I normally play with a very small client window.

I would maybe prefer it if it was just one small button and then showed all options on mouse over, similar to the button bar button's sub buttons.
The button it self can change its icon so you know what you are aiming at, for example aiming at a door it would show a door. That way we have an indicator of what we are aiming at, and buttons if we don't know the hotkeys for it.

At the very least, an option to turn them off would be nice.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby ximulator » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:57 pm

They are important for new players, I've even found controls I didn't know existed until this interface was added. Myself and I'm sure many other players can't be bothered with studying every small function in the options menu. Why learn shift+H when I can open my inventory, close helmet, and forget until it breaks in maybe a month.

As much as I like having it though, I agree that it gets in the way. A very intuitive solution would be an easy way to exit or remove the buttons from the UI or an option for them to fade with the rest of the UI, but also for the buttons to have instant tooltips showing their keybinds. That way complicated key combinations like Shift+H are just learned over time by using the more convenient helmet button, and pros like you can just press an X or a "hide" or something because you know all the buttons.
ximulator

Postby AnrDaemon » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:34 am

There's a very different aspect of being visible versus being obscuring.
I agree that some controls aren't as apparent as the other, but that's a discussion for another thread.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby Greydog » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:43 pm

If we're going to have those then we may as well just have hotbars that we can place where we want ..and hot keys to put in them.
I plan on living forever ..so far so good!

Shores of Hazeron Repository
Greydog

Postby AnrDaemon » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:31 am

Would help, with all the equipment slots misunderstandings/misfeatures.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Return to Arena of Ideas