2018-05-04 Helmet HUD

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2018-05-04 Helmet HUD

Postby Haxus » Fri May 04, 2018 6:59 am

Helmet HUD
It would be nice to know if the air is breathable before doffing my helmet or opening my visor.

Helmet HUD is now visible when helmet is on and closed. It has a red/green indicator to show if removal of the helmet is unsafe. It also shows altitude, long/lat, and heading.

http://hazeron.com/gallery/Hazeron.May- ... 40-012.png

Academy Build Rule
Star fleet academy is a military building but it does not require a base.

Fixed.

Graded Areas
Graded areas can be used to make land on gas giants or carve moons away to mostly nothing.

Graded areas and roads can no longer be raised or lowered more than 50m from the virgin terrain altitude. This matches the range allowed for site deviations in buildings.

Very High Birth Rate
A world with a high population has a birth rate of 1 per second or more. This was supposed to be limited to a maximum of one per minute.

Fixed an error that allowed multiple threads processing buildings to get people from the world population simultaneously.

Stargate Across Discontinuity
I don't know if it has ever happened but a person with a preon from across the discontinuity could open a stargate to the other side.

Stargates will no longer open across the discontinuity. Nothing happens. The preon is not consumed.

Blinking Snow
When inside a building or spacecraft, snow flakes appear and disappear quickly, giving an obnoxious blinking snow effect.

Fixed.

Hand Craft Patents
The patents to make storage crystal jewelry, nuclear fuel rods, and a few other things can be hand crafted.

Fixed.

Drag DNA Sample Kit
Dragging a DNA sample kit onto leather does not take a DNA sample of the leather.

Fixed. It also works the other way around, otherwise you could not get a DNA sample from a leather backpack by drag/drop.

Hail Report Stasis
Someone suggested that hails on the crew channel to a ship in stasis should produce a reply so the player knows the status of the ship.

Hail on crew channel to a ship in stasis now responds with its status, recovery time, and the repair shop Q needed to recover the wreck.

Building Placement Patents Bug
When placing a building, manufacturing processes that require a patent cannot be selected as the initial process, even if the empire has the patents.

This was fixed some time ago. I found the to do item and didn't remember if I mentioned it here.

Free Avatar Mission Window
Empire less avatar can't open the spacecraft mission window... but can use it if it is open.

Free avatars are not permitted to command spacecraft. Buttons on the mission window are now disabled appropriately.

Warehouse Initial Commodity
Could the item to be stored be designated when a warehouse is placed?

When placing warehouses and storage tanks, you now get a window asking what commodity the building is to accumulate.

New Roads Not Built
New style roads are not being built by citizens.

I found a reason why citizens would not build graded areas. It was fixed. Could not positively determine why they would not build roads but I made some changes.

Action Buttons
Could the buttons on the right perhaps be editable/removable? So u can have only the buttons u need, or none at all if u know all the controls by heart?

Added a setting to hide the action buttons. It would be a lot of work to make them individually editable so I didn't do that. The setting can be found on the Overlay page of the Settings window.

Vehicle Transporter To Space
Leaving the motor on in a submarine is enough to hold it in orbit when you teleport out.

Fixed.

Building Connect Bug
New Style roads greatly confuse me... I place a nice sized road segment. I start placing buildings on the road. Buildings at the end, such that the site slightly overlaps towards the end segment seem to connect often. Buildings next to the segment of road. Additionally, buildings next to each other (very close but not overlapping) are not normally connecting, but if I decently overlap the sites they then connect

Fixed a bug when determining closeness between buildings and roads. They are supposed to connect with up to a 10m margin between the edges of the building sites or road edges.

Delete Building Bug
I level an area off to make it nice to build. Place a building and make a mistake requiring me to delete it, and I can only select the graded areas under it. I have to delete all graded areas under before it allows me to delete the building.

Buildings are now found first when deleting, before graded areas or roads.

Level Grade Bug
So I am trying to flatten a large area, both level grade and slope grade still follow the terrain height at both ends, is there a way to make it stay the height of the starting point?

Fixed.

Bank Report Bug
BANK SYSTEM
12,050¢FACILITIES jammed on the same line as facilities and that word is bold so my eyes ignored it at first lol

Fixed.

Fuel Import Bug
My coal power plant imported hydrogen in it's storage.. how odd.

I couldn't positively find the reason for this but I did make a change.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2018-05-04 Helmet HUD

Postby Vectorus » Fri May 04, 2018 7:17 am

Haxus wrote:Graded areas and roads can no longer be raised or lowered more than 50m from the virgin terrain altitude

In principle, this needed doing, but 50m feels like a pretty low number. If you wanted to cut a pass through high mountains, dig out a big quarry or create a small island in a normal ocean I think you'd have problems. I feel a space-age society would have the tools to do a bit more than this. The regrading of Seattle was probably more extreme?

Perhaps make the maximum number proportional to the world's original diameter? So you could create quite large features on good-sized habitables, while being quite limited on moons and gas giant cores. Or, I suppose carrying the grading from a low area to a high one or vice versa will always work the way it used to. In that case, you could just limit the grading to 50m+/- from the world's highest and lowest natural points.

EDIT: What I mean is there we can already, presumably, find the lowest chasm on the moon, go down 50m, carry that level to a site 500m away, then delete the intervening strip of grading. So perhaps we could just grade down to that level starting anywhere, and eliminate the extra step?

Thanks for all the other stuff: so much!
Vectorus

Postby Haxus » Fri May 04, 2018 7:56 am

Good suggestions. Nothing is cast in stone. It was a starting point.

Also, the terrain grading limit only applies to the end points of the road segment. You could still carve a valley through a mountain or make a land bridge across an ocean.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Minty » Fri May 04, 2018 11:23 am

Holy cow! This update has enough squashed bugs to make you legally an exterminator, Haxus!

I'm glad to see the discontinuity thing and the grading-to-destroy-planets thing in particular both be patched. They're not massive bugs or anything, but they are exactly the sorts of things that a larger audience like the steam community would find and exploit immediately.
Minty

Postby Celarious » Fri May 04, 2018 11:43 am

Just wanted to say how nice the helmet HUD looks! I honestly wasn't expecting it to look that good, so good job Haxus! :D
Celarious

Postby Deantwo » Fri May 04, 2018 1:44 pm

Haxus wrote:Action Buttons
Could the buttons on the right perhaps be editable/removable? So u can have only the buttons u need, or none at all if u know all the controls by heart?

Added a setting to hide the action buttons. It would be a lot of work to make them individually editable so I didn't do that. The setting can be found on the Overlay page of the Settings window.

It might be a useful idea to separate them into categories.
  • Inventory items (items you are holding, always accessible items such as helmet visor and suit light)
  • Environment (ship you are inside)
  • Focus (whatever you are pointing the crosshair at)
  • Vehicle/Console (vehicle controls, console controls)
And then maybe add tooltips to the buttons that show what the bound hot key is, so we can use it to learn the hot keys.

The most useful if you ask me is the "Focus" one, since it lets you know what you are pointing at. No more foraging the wrong resource and such.
The "Vehicle/Console" one is useful, but maybe it would be more useful to actually implement some of those into the HUD. Such as clicking the little engine icon above the vehicle health bar to power it on. (PS I still really want a "Hold" indicator.)
Another good one is the "Environment" one, since it actually lets us know how to turn on the lights in our ship, among other things.

Apart from that, if you ever have the will/time, you can allow us to disable them individually as we learn each one.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Fri May 04, 2018 2:17 pm

Celarious wrote:Just wanted to say how nice the helmet HUD looks!

Thank you for the kind words. I was very nervous about this one. The audience can be brutal some times. :) So far, responses have been positive, with some nice suggested improvements.

It isn't completely finished. That is as far as I got yesterday before it was time to start building the update.

I plan to add overall velocity and perhaps a little radar of nearby units in the green circle. And perhaps an indicator of suit integrity.

Any suggestions for what to put in the blue circle? I may just reshape that part of the HUD to accommodate the health bars. Radar could move to the middle for left/right symmetry.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Fri May 04, 2018 2:30 pm

Later...

Manufacture Bug
The manufacture panel at a farm shows it is making vegetables, everything is green, looks ready to run. I push Run and nothing happens.

The process was set for 2 fields. No workers were present. When a player pushed Run, the process decided there were not enough workers present to start it.

The code was updated to run the process with fewer workers, the way they do when AI runs the process without enough workers present. This was overlooked when that change was made.

Server Load
Servers were really struggling to load balance today.

Found an inefficiency in some checks performed on buildings when their design first becomes available after starting. That inefficiency was geometrically magnified by the number of buildings on the world. A world with 1193 buildings started taking a huge amount of time to process. (1190 of those buildings are houses. :? )

If this change does not eliminate the problem, I am resigned to imposing a limit on the number of buildings on each world. These are my proposed limits.

TIny moons = 40 buildings.
    Small moons = 80 buildings.
    Large moons and planets = 80 to 480 buildings depending on world size.
    RIngworld arcs = 500 buildings.
    Gas giant core = 40 to 160 buildings depending on core size.
If a limit must be imposed, I will have to delete excess buildings from worlds that have them.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Phenoix12 » Fri May 04, 2018 6:40 pm

Neat new hud. Will you be making it possable to create out own huds for power armor when we get to the point where we can design out own armor? :lol: (I'm gessing no but fun question anyway)

Also a question not related to this update but something I've been meaning to ask. Will we eventually get hte ability to make game table stations in the designer instead of having to use the premade one?
Phenoix12

Postby Celarious » Fri May 04, 2018 6:47 pm

Haxus wrote:
Celarious wrote:Just wanted to say how nice the helmet HUD looks!

Thank you for the kind words. I was very nervous about this one. The audience can be brutal some times. :) So far, responses have been positive, with some nice suggested improvements.

It isn't completely finished. That is as far as I got yesterday before it was time to start building the update.

I plan to add overall velocity and perhaps a little radar of nearby units in the green circle. And perhaps an indicator of suit integrity.

Any suggestions for what to put in the blue circle? I may just reshape that part of the HUD to accommodate the health bars. Radar could move to the middle for left/right symmetry.

Since the HUD currently overlaps with the health bars in the bottom left corner, I'd say it'd make the most sense to reshape the blue circle area to integrate those bars, so they look like they're part of the HUD instead of being messy

I'm also all about having a radar, and it should be fine no matter where you put it, so looking forward to it! :D
Celarious

Next

Return to Updates