2018-04-24 Building Size Limits, Light/Darkness

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2018-04-24 Building Size Limits, Light/Darkness

Postby Haxus » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:22 pm

Building Size Limits
The size limits imposed on the overall dimensions of buildings and building sites feels too small.

Increased the maximum size of buildings to 500m x 500m. Site size limits were enlarged to 510m x 510m.

I have not tested this in the game. Building sites that are 500m on a side could create a significant flat spot on tiny moons. We'll have to see if this causes problems.

Expect stronger gravity at the center of such a flat spot as it will be closer to the center of gravity. It could even act as a hill down to the center, gravitationally.

Light/Darkness
Night seems to be pitch black. What happened to starlight?

This one is a mystery. I confirmed that the ambient light level was calculated and configured just as before the Friday update. Ambient light levels in various situations have not changed in years. I increased those values a little bit so things are back to being dimly visible at night.

Fwiw, ambient light level at night has always been based on the overall density of stars in the 3x3x3 box of sectors centered on your location.

Model Limits
Spacecraft and building models can exceed the hull design limits by using parts that are not considered when calculating the overall extents of the hull.

Added checks to insure that no vertex of a spacecraft or building model falls outside the limits for the design. All parts are checked, including all states of parts that can have states, like doors and landing gear. This includes parts that are not visible and parts that do not have faces, such as path segments. This does not include omitted parts.

I will create a query to disable all existing blueprints that got finalized with parts exceeding the model limits.

Launcher
Launcher was updated to remove buttons that started the old style building and spacecraft designers. The default set of background images was also updated.

If you must run them, you can still use the -building and -spacecraft command line options when you run the SoH program.

Fwiw, the launcher also grabs pictures from the SoH screen grab folder. That way screen grabs that you make in the game show up on the launcher.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2018-04-24 Building Size Limits, Light/Darkness

Postby Haxus » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:27 pm

This change does not require servers and clients to be updated at the same time. The servers are done building so they will be restarted right away, to put a stop to those big buildings. They are causing havoc with the servers.

Client programs will be updated as they finish building. You will not be able to take advantage of the larger building size limits until your client is updated.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2018-04-24 Building Size Limits, Light/Darkness

Postby Vectorus » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:20 am

Citizens have started appearing, which is very nice, but they are not at their citizen posts, and you still can't sit at those posts. Also, are they supposed to use paths?

I've noticed some low fps spreading to other planets recently, not just ringworlds. Turning of the HUD and using overhead view seem to improve performance. In those views, my GPU utilization increases by about 50%.
Vectorus

Return to Updates