2018-04-18 Rockets, Buildings, Fire, Acid, Water, SLASH!

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2018-04-18 Rockets, Buildings, Fire, Acid, Water, SLASH!

Postby Haxus » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:45 am

Missiles and Rockets
When missiles and rockets are fired, they just hang there. A few seconds later they take off, or just explode. Half the time they blow up my own vehicle. When I do hit a building with them, there is no damage.

Fixed numerous problems with missiles and rockets.

Mine Minerals
Adding a mine no longer selects an appropriate mining process when hovering over a mineral resource.

Fixed building placement command to check for appropriate minerals when placing mines and wells. It also checks for visible water when placing a treatment plant. Without visible water, a treatment plant cannot gather water from the environment.

Server Memory
Server memory demand has gone up quite a bit.

Made changes to unload unused ship and building designs when they are no longer needed.

Manufacture Authority
Manufacture panel at new buildings allows anyone to operate the controls.

Applied appropriate chain of command checks to manufacturing controls.

Drink Water
Drinking water doesn't do anything. When I am working hard, all I want is a drink of water.

Drinking water now restores stamina.

Extinguish Fires with Water
I can extinguish a burning creature by clicking on them with a unit of water. That doesn't seem to work on anything else that is on fire.

You can now click on a burning creature, vehicle, building or spacecraft with water in hand to put out the fire.

Decontaminate Acid with Water
I can decontaminate acid on a creature by clicking on them with a unit of water. That doesn't seem to work on anything else that is melting.

You can now click on a melting creature, vehicle, building or spacecraft with water in hand to decontaminate acid.

Storage Tank UI
Storage tank UI is very slow to update.

Fixed.

Process Name Errors
There is a manufacturing process with the word "Womrhole". There is a patent process that starts out with "Making Large Missile", which is inconsistent with other processes of the type.

Fixed these. The change will not propagate until a later update.

New Building Patents
Built a new building. Had to wait for a while before it got patents from the empire, so it could make stuff.

Fixed. Buildings now get empire patents as soon as their construction is completed.

Place Building Patents
When placing a new building, it doesn't seem to know about patents of my empire. That makes it impossible to preset what the building is to make.

Fixed.

Police Jurisdiction Error
I added a second police station to my town. It was not in the jurisdiction of the first police station but it did have the capitol building in its jurisdiction. This should be valid but buildings that are only in the jurisdiction of the second station are not part of my town.

Fixed. Jurisdictions are reanalyzed when the servers start so all towns with this bug will be corrected without player intervention.

Construction Window Includes Non-Free Blueprint
The construction window is supposed to only list blueprints from the exchange that are freely available to the builder. It was including a power plant blueprint that costs 500,000,000c.

Fixed. Non-free blueprints are not listed from the exchange, unless they were published by the builder.

Mega SLASH Wtf?
A pirate ship moved in range of my ship. I about leaped out of my chair when a giant SLASH sound blasted out. It turned out that my ship had disintegrator ray lenses; they do slashing damage. It was confusing, took me a bit to figure out what the sound was. I do not think J. J. Abrams would approve.

Different weapon effects have an associated sound effect when they hit something. That does not scale up well.
  • Larger weapons now make an explosion sound, regardless of the type of damage inflicted.
  • Larger weapons are those mounted on vehicles, spacecraft and buildings.
  • Larger weapons now create craters in terrain, if they have a blast radius.
Building Repairs
New buildings never get repaired.

Buildings now repair themselves using community supplies.
  • Buildings only need their primary building material to perform all repairs. I assumed players did not want to deal with fixing a building somewhere that needed a textile or electronic part that was unavailable locally.
  • The Q of the repair materials is not a factor and has no effect on the repairs or the building.
  • Workers at a building contribute to its repairs.
  • A building with no workers will get repaired slowly.
  • A building that is completely repaired is cleared of fires and acid, if they persist that long.
Incendiary Weapons
There is internal inconsistency about what ignites fires and what can light on fire.

Now there is consistency.
  • The only targets that can be lit on fire are spacecraft, buildings, vehicles and creatures.
  • All weapons that cause heat damage, radiation damage, or electrical damage can start their target on fire, if they damage the target when they strike.
  • Spacecraft and building hull construction material affects probability of lighting on fire, which tends to increase as overall damage increases. Vehicles and creatures have a fixed probability for ignition.
  • Spacecraft, buildings and vehicles that are 90% damaged or more will ignite when damaged, regardless of the type of damage.
  • Use water on burning targets to douse the fire.
  • A burning creature can be submerged to douse a fire. Submersion does not extinguish burning spacecraft, vehicles or buildings.
Building Fires
Building fires are broken in several ways. They are too small (microscopic). Fire stations never put them out.

Fixed.
  • Building fires are now scaled appropriately to the size of the building model.
  • Workers and residents at the building contribute to fire fighting.
  • Workers at fire stations are used to fight fires.
  • Each fire station can respond to one fire every four minutes.
  • A building with no workers or residents or fire station has a small chance of extinguishing its own fire.
Citizen Encounters
Citizens never appear in new cities, making them feel desolate.

Fixed. Citizens now appear in new cities.

Building Residents and Workers
The number of residents at a building rolled over to 0 when it exceeded 64k.

These changes were made.
  • The number of residents at a building will no longer exceed 65,535. The number of homes in a blueprint may exceed that but the excess will be unused.
  • A warning appears in the design analysis when the number of homes exceeds 64k.
  • The number of workers at a building will no longer exceed 65,535. The number of shops, offices, auditoriums, etc. in a blueprint may exceed that but the excess will be unused.
  • Warnings appear in the design analysis when the number of various job-creating things exceeds 64k.
Broken Sound Effects
Sounds effects in my new city are completely broken.

Disabled sounds produced by new buildings due to a resource limitation. Their doors and things won't make any noise for a while, until I can give this the amount of attention that is needed to work it out.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2018-04-18 Rockets, Buildings, Fire, Acid, Water, SLASH!

Postby Minty » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:54 am

dang, haxus! so many fixes and changes! good work my dude!
Minty

Postby Haxus » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:01 am

We are really close to phasing out the old cities and spacecraft. The first tiny step will be to remove the buttons from the Launcher that open the old style building and spacecraft designers. That has been done, just waiting to be posted, perhaps at the next update.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Vectorus » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:01 am

Haxus, if someone is keeping you in a cellar and forcing you to work on updates 24/7, there are ways you can let us know. Just write "help" on your moon with roads...

Otherwise, thank you very much!
Vectorus

Postby Haxus » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:11 pm

I can't imagine what else I would do.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2018-04-18 Rockets, Buildings, Fire, Acid, Water, SLA

Postby Vectorus » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:15 pm

You have an aeroplane, yes?

I wish the man who buzzes my house every sunny day in his red triplane would go and work on an amazing space game 24/7 instead.
Vectorus

Postby Deantwo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:45 pm

Haxus wrote:Drink Water
Drinking water doesn't do anything. When I am working hard, all I want is a drink of water.

Drinking water now restores stamina.

Extinguish Fires with Water
Decontaminate Acid with Water

More uses for water, nice.

I guess a small fire on a spacecraft that you have to locate and extinguish before it becomes a large scale fire would just be more interesting than "boom fire all over".
For example; a spacecraft that is 91% damaged gets hit, a small fire is started in a random room and an alarm goes off through out the spacecraft. You have 20 seconds or so to locate the burning room and extinguish it, or else it will become a spacecraft-wide like normal. Just a little more focus on damage control teams, could be done with AI crew or avatar crew.

Haxus wrote:Construction Window Includes Non-Free Blueprint
The construction window is supposed to only list blueprints from the exchange that are freely available to the builder. It was including a power plant blueprint that costs 500,000,000c.

Fixed. Non-free blueprints are not listed from the exchange, unless they were published by the builder.

Still hoping we get an opt-in. Having the the list get longer and longer whenever people publish new blueprints will just get annoying and out of hand.
See: Re: Old Designer Nerf

Haxus wrote:Citizen Encounters
Citizens never appear in new cities, making them feel desolate.

Fixed. Citizens now appear in new cities.

Anyway we can get a margin on these encounters? I noticed that animal encounters seem to happen the moment I am not on a building site or road. I am guessing citizen encouters will only happen whrn i am on a building site or road, would be nice if they greet me when i am near a city (but fewer in numbers I guess).

Haxus wrote:
  • The number ... will no longer exceed 65,535. The number ... may exceed that but the excess will be unused.
  • A warning appears ... when the number ... exceeds 64k.

This sounds like a good policy to adapt for most things. Thumbs up!

Haxus wrote:Broken Sound Effects

Yeah sounds has definitely been on the fritz lately. Nice to have it back.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Deantwo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:32 am

Haxus wrote:Manufacture Authority
Manufacture panel at new buildings allows anyone to operate the controls.

Applied appropriate chain of command checks to manufacturing controls.

Avatar that is in an empire can't manage buildings built by an avatar that is not in an empire.

Also sad that I can't transfer the ownership of the buildings I made with my empire avatar to my free avatar, but that is another minor issue I guess.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby jakbruce2012 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:05 pm

The ability to give ownership of a building/spacecraft/vehicle with a chat command would be nice.
jakbruce2012

Postby Teskham » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:28 pm

Can we extinguish fire by exposing the Character or ship interior/exterior to space?
Teskham

Return to Updates