2018-03-08 Buildings, Roads, Officers, Landing Beacons

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2018-03-08 Buildings, Roads, Officers, Landing Beacons

Postby Haxus » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:37 am

Change Road Material
The function to change the material of an existing road did not work for new style roads. Worse yet, it caused the client program to lock up. That is working properly now.

Mass Media
New mass media buildings now publish tech objects. There must be a supply of paper or blank disks available to them.

Stored Goods
New players often react with confusion when they build their first city and discover they must buy the goods it produces. Now the building page of the building window, for new style buildings, gives access to all of its stored goods to take freely, if you are in the chain of command of the building.

Mine Stone
In the old cities, mines could always mine stone if they could mine anything. The new buildings were not always showing stone as an option. That should be fixed now.

Money Bug
New buildings were not transferring money between themselves to pay for RnD. That should be fixed now.

Transporter Places
People who hold a berth aboard a ship will now show up as transporter destinations in the places list of their own ship, so it is easy to beam to them or beam them up. They must not be aboard a spacecraft or a vehicle to show up. They must be in transporter range.

Deselect Bug
I was unable to deselect an avatar in the avatars on line window. It would become selected again after a second or so. That is fixed.

Nav Beacons on Bridge
The rotating beacon around stations and the beacon lines with city names are now visible when standing on the bridge.

Road Slabs
New buildings do not require road slabs nor do they even know what they are. Various bits of code that required spacecraft or vehicle positioning on a road slab were updated to consider new buildings. Being at the site of an appropriate building is now sufficient in most cases. i.e. Land your ship at an airport terminal site, not at a road slab next to one. AI was updated also.

Mission Orders At New Buildings
Officer should now carry out cargo trade, repair, service, and personnel load/unload mission orders at new cities.

New Building Manufacture Bug
Place a new building and it does not manufacture the thing that was in the construction combo box. This can be a nuisance when a building has 100 manufacturing processes. That bug is fixed. It also affected the worker on/off check box, also fixed now.

Long Health Bars
New buildings can have so many hit points that a bar indicating health is not practical. Some of them stick out into orbit. They were replaced by a number of hp.

Landing Beacon
New airport terminals and base air terminals now emit a beacon from their spacecraft parking spots into orbit. The name of the city/base appears at the end. This replaces the town square beacon present in old cities, which did not serve well for landing approach guidance. The color of the beacon is the contrail color of the building's empire. The color of the name at the end is based on your empire's political stance toward the owner of the city, just like old cities.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2018-03-08 Buildings, Roads, Officers, Landing Beacons

Postby Haxus » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:43 pm

There is always something. Right after posting the update I got a lockup on my client while using the construction window.

It is fixed and a new client was posted.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Celarious » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:45 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for all the new city fixes and bridge navigation improvements!

One thing, would it be possible to extract things out of a building and sell it back to the city for infinite money for free?
Celarious

Postby Deantwo » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:52 pm

Haxus wrote:Stored Goods
New players often react with confusion when they build their first city and discover they must buy the goods it produces. Now the building page of the building window, for new style buildings, gives access to all of its stored goods to take freely, if you are in the chain of command of the building.

This will make it easier, especially when the city has no citizens at all. Kinda like a lone building can be yours.
But kinda feel like they should start wanting money for their supplies if the building is part of a city.

Imagine being a new player starting in an established empire (I know we don't have the option anymore). In order to make some starting money you go out of the city and build a logging camp that is not part of or connected to any cities, you can produce logs and sell it in the city. After a while the disconnected building decay because it isn't used.
Just a cool thought.

Haxus wrote:Transporter Places
People who hold a berth aboard a ship will now show up as transporter destinations in the places list of their own ship, so it is easy to beam to them or beam them up. They must not be aboard a spacecraft or a vehicle to show up. They must be in transporter range.

Any way you can sort the places dropdown list? Beacons and crewmembers on top, followed by flags, capitols, and other important things. Having all the new-style buildings of a city on the list will be impossible to go through.
See: (Update thread reply) Re: 2018-03-01 Broker, Airport, Air Base, Transporter

Haxus wrote:Road Slabs
New buildings do not require road slabs nor do they even know what they are. Various bits of code that required spacecraft or vehicle positioning on a road slab were updated to consider new buildings. Being at the site of an appropriate building is now sufficient in most cases. i.e. Land your ship at an airport terminal site, not at a road slab next to one. AI was updated also.

Landing Beacon
New airport terminals and base air terminals now emit a beacon from their spacecraft parking spots into orbit. The name of the city/base appears at the end. This replaces the town square beacon present in old cities, which did not serve well for landing approach guidance. The color of the beacon is the contrail color of the building's empire. The color of the name at the end is based on your empire's political stance toward the owner of the city, just like old cities.

I still think it would be a good idea to make airports have a service range like stations, so they act like stations on the surface. this also allow for your ship to just hover near the airport to get service. Think of it as the airport shipping supplies and such, be it with transporters or unseen vehicles. For repairs you can just land anywhere within range of the airport.
The only issue I see with this idea is finding out when to protect a ship from atmospheric decay. It could maybe just be while the ship (has an officer and) is within service range of an airport.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Minty » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:05 pm

Stored Goods

love to see these tweaks to help new players! great job!
Minty

Postby Haxus » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:50 pm

Pilot Stuck
A recent update caused pilots to get stuck. I ordered my ship to orbit over a city at a world. The pilot turns on the motor but never moves until I take the controls and get the ship moving. That is fixed.

Pilot Starts Suddenly
When starting out from a stop, the ship seems to wake up suddenly and make a huge turn that is confusing. That is fixed.

Pilot Dives into Atmosphere
Orbiting around a world from one city to another, my pilot suddenly decided to take a shortcut through the atmosphere, seemed to get confused, sat there stuck twitching the ship back and forth. That is fixed.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:07 pm

Celarious wrote:Just wanted to say thanks for all the new city fixes and bridge navigation improvements!

It has been fun. Most of the grunt work is completed on new buildings. All that is left is minor bugs and unfinished loose ends, sifting the bugs out of all that new code.

I like to mix in minor improvements when bug fixing. It keeps it interesting.
Jack Nicholson in The Shining wrote:All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Now where's that axe?
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:42 am

Client Crash
Fixed a client side crash that was preventing people from logging in, who were in a particular solar system. The bug was not isolated to that system. Conditions were present there to cause the crash.

This bug necessitated a client update. There was no workaround.

The Win64 client update will be done in a little while. I will post all platform clients as they finish building.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:07 pm

For the curious, this is what it looks like when a server crashes, locks up, or otherwise dies. The monitoring program runs all the time; I check it often.
http://hazeron.com/images/ServerFail.mp4
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby jakbruce2012 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:17 pm

Haxus wrote:For the curious, this is what it looks like when a server crashes, locks up, or otherwise dies. The monitoring program runs all the time; I check it often.
http://hazeron.com/images/ServerFail.mp4

Oh now that is a really cool monitoring setup.
also, best get the fire extinguisher.
jakbruce2012

Next

Return to Updates