2018-02-13, 14 Servers

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2018-02-13, 14 Servers

Postby Haxus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:59 pm

Down the Server Rabbit Hole
Work on the servers took an unexpected turn as it pulled me deeply inside the machine. The past week has been a delirium of coding, repeatedly accompanied by promising results on the debug servers, only to be followed by brutal failure on the public servers. The end result could be classified as an evolutionary advancement over the previous threading architecture of the SoH scene servers.

The changes stirred up some trouble that may not be over yet. I am watching my server monitor for any lockups or sluggish servers. So far, so good.

Some people have already reported much smoother movement in solar systems that were consistently choppy before the update.

Memory Leak
Found and fixed a memory leak on the scene servers, caused by troops manning turrets in old style spacecraft. It was not a new bug and it would have caused endurance issues for the servers when up for a long time.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2018-02-13 Servers

Postby Ikkir Isth » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:58 pm

See if you can get into Glory Control: i was able to transfer from one character to another one in there, but then couldn't do anything... and then relog directly into that character didnt get past the loading screen.

Character: Ikkir Did What
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby jakbruce2012 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:31 am

I love how Glory Control is still the gold standard for laggy system testing.
jakbruce2012

Postby Onepercent » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:57 am

I wonder if haxus can just delete glory control
Onepercent

Postby Haxus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:51 am

I'll check out Glory Control when I finish stamping out fires.

Memory Leak
Am currently building a server update that fixes another memory leak, this one newly installed. It caused one server to use up 32GB of RAM and another to use up 16GB. Both are happily munching more. Luckily those boxes have plenty of memory but their memory won't last much longer at that rate. I am racing to build the server update before I have to kill one or both of them.

Agent Recovery of Ships in Stasis
I added a way for an agent to recover a ship from stasis. I will be testing it on my own ship after the servers come up. I will happily restore player ships that were wrongly destroyed.

Stasis Recovery Time
The time to recover a ship in stasis is now only 1/2 of the estimated build time. Previously, it was the entire estimated build time.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Deantwo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:42 am

Haxus wrote:Agent Recovery of Ships in Stasis

Useful! Thought that was a thing already.

Haxus wrote:Stasis Recovery Time
The time to recover a ship in stasis is now only 1/2 of the estimated build time. Previously, it was the entire estimated build time.

As long as recovered spacecraft are at about 50% health and the time to repair them isn't too fast. Sure.

Speaking of repair, anyway spacecraft repair service can be changed to gradually increase the health of a spacecraft? Rather than instantly set it to full (assuming all materials are available) health upon buying the repair service.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Return to Updates