2018-01-24 Custom Textures, Bugs

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Re: 2018-01-24 Custom Textures, Bugs

Postby Minty » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:33 am

i'm sure we'll get there!!!
Minty

Postby Vectorus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:49 am

Haxus wrote: gobbles up a quick 15MB, vs 3.75MB at the smaller size.

Ok, I understand. But what about setting 3.75mb as an overall limit, rather than hardwiring it to the 15 slots? For a building, you might want a really good, tiling 3mb texture for the wall material, while caring less about the rest. With the current setup, you would presumably need to use groups of 15 faces to get a tiling effect with a big texture...But since you've just made an effort to do the opposite, maybe never mind.

Haxus wrote: Each month we get a little closer to covering the cost of our server expenses.

I am cautiously excited. Just on anecdotal evidence, the "avatars online" list feels nice and fat and the community seems more active than for some time, by the standards of the pay-to-play era. Do you have any statistics you are willing to share?

I hope it reaches the point that, when all of us here are dead, it is worth someone's while to keep Hazeron alive...

p.s., just saw the last post. Thank you so much! You may need to clear out some of the failed versions. I thought this patch was already live and so finalized again this morning.
Vectorus

Postby Deantwo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:03 am

Haxus wrote:At present the designer is still at the utilitarian/functional stage, able to get the job done, though not always elegantly. It is off to a great start and I don't anticipate significant changes to the foundation that has been laid.

I am kinda wishing/hoping you might simplify the building volume allocation.

For example use "points" instead of volume. Each x amount of total building volume gives a "point", these "points" would then be able to added to different things much like currently, for example; storage, shop, office, home, etc. So instead of "137m³ homes, plus 35m³ office", you have "10 homes and 1 office". Think of it as assigning vacant office space.

Spacecraft are ok to have more finely tuned. Measuring the size of your fuel cell in m³ makes sense.

Haxus wrote:It's the sort of thing that could easily be handed over to a lower level programmer to have fun with for a while. If I had the luxury of income, I might hire one.

I would love to hammer out quality of life changes and squashing bugs in Hazeron's source code. But the designer might not be where I would feel the most comfortable. ^^;
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby expert700 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:07 am

Vectorus wrote:-snip- Ok, I understand. But what about setting 3.75mb as an overall limit, rather than hardwiring it to the 15 slots? For a building, you might want a really good, tiling 3mb texture for the wall material, while caring less about the rest. With the current setup, you would presumably need to use groups of 15 faces to get a tiling effect with a big texture...But since you've just made an effort to do the opposite, maybe never mind.
-snip-

I think Vectorus's suggestion of the texture size limit would allow for some far more creative ships. Haxus, perhaps you could look into just throwing the textures into an atlas (maybe multiple ones, but I don't know much about opengl) to get around the shader limit on macs?
expert700

Postby Haxus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:21 am

Sorry for the restart. I thought it was ready to go. The attempt to store the ship design failed and there was curiously no error log output on the SQL server.

Something didn't seem right so I restarted the SoH servers. While they were down, I restarted the PostgreSQL server. It wouldn't restart. Its configuration was broken somehow. D:

This took some fiddling. It appears to be running now but I am not happy with its startup messages. Something about the PostgreSQL config is messed up. I may have to just remove and reinstall it because it is quickly getting beyond my ability to fix it.

I tried to grab a copy of the Zapomatic off the SoH server so I could try finalizing it on my debug servers. I was unable.

Perhaps if you are on line in a bit I can join you in the designer and save the design to a local file on my computer.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:57 am

I have the older 288MB uncompressed .SoH file of Zapomatic. I am using it for testing on the debug server farm. Please do not attempt to finalize it again until I get some results. This may require a conversation with the PostgreSQL support people.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Vectorus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:59 am

Gladly, but since the update Robert (CWVFGCB) tried to place a static item and got stuck. Not limbo, just frozen in place. Relogging doesn't help. Would be happy if you could save him quickly.

Saw the next post: ok. That file was about 88mb compressed, if I remember.
Vectorus

Postby AnrDaemon » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:07 pm

288MB

88mb

Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby Haxus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:17 pm

Good news, I worked out the SQL error. The size limit is restored to 100MB because that is safely within limits. The old 288MB Zapomatic (88MB compressed) finalized just fine and found its way safely into the database.

I am building an update now. The changes in my code were slight so the build should not take very long. I'll be posting these things as soon as they are ready.

Though slight, a version number did change so all servers and clients have to be rebuilt. Rats.
Haxus
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Updates