2018-01-16 Free Avatars, Game Startup, Teleport Invite

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Re: 2018-01-16 Free Avatars, Game Startup, Teleport Invite

Postby Haxus » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:05 am

Spacecraft will not be assigned to empire 0, which is not an empire, just a zero.

The 0.png flag image was my quick fix to the players online page when a player has no empire. A broken image was showing up for their flag so I just made one. It was easier than hunting down the code to have it leave out the flag on that page.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:12 am

will there be an invisible empire patent vault?

Empire patent vault is not invisible. It is a new page on the Governance window. You can record and get patents there.

Where will a building, that is not on a claimed world and not in a city, get patents from?

Each building stores its known patents. They can develop their own patents and players can record patents at that building.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Deantwo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:28 am

Haxus wrote:
will there be an invisible empire patent vault?

Empire patent vault is not invisible. It is a new page on the Governance window. You can record and get patents there.

That is what I meant by invisible, it is not tied to a city.
Losing all your cities will not make you lose all your patents.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:58 am

Losing all your cities will not make you lose all your patents.

Correct.

I am building an update now. It finishes some things that were in progress when I had to post an emergency update earlier in the week to fix a critical login bug. I think those changes are all done but I can't seem to concentrate very well right now. The update will be posted later today.

Unfortunately I didn't get very much done this week. A flu-like virus took over my body a few days ago and it really nuked me. The last few days have been miserable, delirious, feverish, drifting in and out of consciousness. The Doc told me to drink lots of fluids and tough it out, keep my strength up, and avoid spiraling out of control, whatever that means. :?

I hope it doesn't last much longer. I am accustomed to working 10 to 12 hours a day six days a week this time of year. This is a very unwelcome interruption.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Minty » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:13 am

aww :( that sucks

get better, friend! don't work too hard while you're sick or i'll come put your ship in time out again!
Minty

Postby AnrDaemon » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:00 pm

Haxus wrote:The controls are of ample size and nice layout

LOL?
I've spent half a minute to find out, which avatar was actually selected, and twice that - to find out how to enter game with it.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby Haxus » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:08 pm

Now that you found the new button, does it need to be bigger? :lol:

Sorry, feeling snarky today for some reason.

Too much bad karma maybe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knfrxj0T5NY
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby expert700 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:14 pm

Haxus wrote:-snip-
Along the way and afterwards, I intend to keep pushing on bug fixes and minor improvements.

Sometimes it is easiest to go with the tide. A lot of unexpected things get done that way.

The login screen sequence took over my world on Friday. I just wanted to get rid of the requirement to make an empire or join one. Once the can of worms was opened, it was game on. That's a bunch of worms that wish they had their nice cozy can back. :lol:

At any given moment, the question is, "What is the ugliest thing in the game right now?" -snip-

If you're doing any more small quality of life updates at the moment would you please consider prioritizing the higher input poll rate / settings to raise it? That seems like a rather small change but it really would make all the difference for the player experience. No one likes it when a game feels like a slideshow.
expert700

Postby Haxus » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:33 pm

No one likes it when a game feels like a slideshow.

Understood. It is a nontrivial task.

I had an inspiration during my delirium and spent most of the afternoon making a huge change to the way the client processes control inputs. I will post it when it is done building.

I am only building this change into the Win64 version, in case of disaster. I have a Win64 that was built earlier today without any of these changes so I can regress to it quickly if there is a problem.

Update after testing: wow
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:57 pm

I am going to proceed with the update using the Win64 build that completed earlier today, without the changes to the controls.

A version changed so everybody has to be updated. This enables me to update everything and then post the newer Win64 when it gets done building, which may take another hour. No version changes are involved and there is no change on the server side so it will be a simple update when it is ready.
Haxus
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Updates