2017-12-09 Storage and Bug Fixes

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2017-12-09 Storage and Bug Fixes

Postby Haxus » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:27 am

Delete Data From Storage Devices
All kinds of data can now be deleted from storage devices. A mix of bugs due to changes and unfinished things left it pretty broken recently.

Storage Device Info
Storage devices now include an information pane that shows details about the selected data item.

Storage Buildings
Warehouses, storage tanks and sheds now import the stuff they store.
  • Storage tanks store fuel, determined by the capacitor module in the blueprint.
  • Warehouses store one single commodity, configured on the Warehouse tab when you go to the building.
  • Sheds import tiny amounts of an assortment of different things: tools, spare parts, construction materials, etc.
  • Warehouses and storage tanks share their contents with buildings looking for the stuff. Sheds do not; they simply collect random stuff until they are full.
Power Plant Fuel
Power plant buildings that use fuel now import fuel into their fuel storage. They prefer to use fuel from their own storage. They do not share their stored fuel with other buildings.

Retail Stores, Cantinas and Groceries
Stores now import small amounts of what they sell. They share everything with buildings looking for stuff.

Transfer of Commodities Between Cities and Buildings
Commodities are now transferred between old generation cities and the new buildings.
  • Cities import from warehouses and storage tanks at six minute intervals.
  • Buildings import from cities when they need things.
  • Buildings must be near the town square to be within walking distance of the city; they do not look at the cities buildings or roads.
  • Airport and wharf connections should work.
Adamantine Hull Module
Adamantine hull module now has different armor stats than vulcium.

Buildings Need Electronic Parts and Plastic
A lot of building designs required plastic and/or electronic parts, creating some impossible-to-build situations. That is fixed. These changes will slightly alter the material requirements of spacecraft blueprints.

Patent Q255 Bug
Fixed a bug that enabled Q255 patents to be created easily.

Procreate Confusion
When procreating, a message now indicates if one of the two is not a mature adult. Previously, immaturity resulted in quiet failure to get pregnant, which was confusing.

Bio Page Age
Biology page now shows your birth date and your maturity level, adult or child. When you are a child, the number of minutes before reaching adulthood is shown. That is on line minutes.

Military Weapon System Bug
Military weapon systems claimed to require radar but then complained that radar was not allowed if you added it, making them impossible to build. Now you do not need to add radar to a military weapon system. It will work with radars to find targets or be limited to a short range when it has no radar available.

University Home Requirement
Universities now require two small homes. This is so they can provide officers and crew for company spacecraft. This is the civilian version of the military academy, which provides officers and crew for fleet spacecraft.

World Population Limit
The resident population of all homes on a world cannot exceed the world's population limit.
  • When the world population is reached, indigenous people stop moving in from the environment of habitable worlds and air/space travellers stop arriving via airports.
  • The current world population limit for most worlds is equal to the previous zone population limit for cities. The exception is ringworld arcs, which now have a world population limit of 1500 (zone pop limit is 1000).
  • I think the population limit should feel a little cramped, so population pressure pushes you into space.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2017-12-09 Storage and Bug Fixes

Postby Xsnip3rX » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:32 am

Are ships getting nuclear reactors any time soon? :)
Chancellor Martok of The Klingon Empire
Xsnip3rX

Postby Haxus » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:38 am

Ships will get nuclear reactors but there are a lot of critical things to get working on the new buildings first.

Foremost is the ability to buy/sell cargo and personal items.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Deantwo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:54 am

Haxus wrote:Delete Data From Storage Devices
All kinds of data can now be deleted from storage devices. A mix of bugs due to changes and unfinished things left it pretty broken recently.

Storage Device Info
Storage devices now include an information pane that shows details about the selected data item.

Can you maybe make the "Storage Device Management" window stay open when deleting things from it? A bit annoying to have to reopen it.

Haxus wrote:Patent Q255 Bug
Fixed a bug that enabled Q255 patents to be created easily.

Not a huge issue since they just allow for a higher possible production quality. You still need to building QL and high quality resources.

Haxus wrote:World Population Limit
The resident population of all homes on a world cannot exceed the world's population limit.
  • When the world population is reached, indigenous people stop moving in from the environment of habitable worlds and air/space travellers stop arriving via airports.
  • The current world population limit for most worlds is equal to the previous zone population limit for cities. The exception is ringworld arcs, which now have a world population limit of 1500 (zone pop limit is 1000).
  • I think the population limit should feel a little cramped, so population pressure pushes you into space.

But babies can still be born to beyond the limit?
Does the new ringworld population cap only affect new cities? Or also old cities?
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Greydog » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:11 pm

It would be nice to be able to name storage devices as well.
I plan on living forever ..so far so good!

Shores of Hazeron Repository
Greydog

Postby Vectorus » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:49 pm

Haxus wrote:World Population Limit

Can you convince me a little more about this? I'm not yet sure if this is a solid improvement. My inexpert thoughts:

Haxus wrote:I think the population limit should feel a little cramped, so population pressure pushes you into space.

1. This is a space game, isn't it? Everyone who is here wants to go to space. I'm fairly sure. Additional pressures aren't seriously needed at the moment. Every active Empire continues to add cities because it's enjoyable in itself. Gas giants began to be colonized on the same day they were added, even though there was then zero incentive to do so, since their resources weren't useable.

2. To make worlds actually feel cramped, you would need to increase, not decrease, the population limit. They already feel a bit barren. A planet filled to every corner, groaning with megaslums like Coruscant or Birmingham, UK, makes you want to relieve the pressure. It always made me sweat a little in Gal Civ II to see the uncontrollable unhappiness spiral as population climbed into the tens of billions without slowing down.

Currently, an 1800 diameter moon totally covered with mines and roads makes me thing, "hmm, there isn't enough space. I'd better find another source." One 1200 population settlement for a massive 20km planet doesn't give me the same feeling.

3. Perhaps consider being very generous with the ratio of maintenance jobs to volume. I know that you may well have done that already, I haven't really experimented. A city could be spatially vast while requiring only a small population. You could have the feeling that the world is physically full and needs to expand beyond the stars, and you could keep the actual pressure of low resource output. Mind you, output isn't that tremendous as things are.

4. If your intention is to make our nations the backdrop for believable sci-fi adventures, I think you may get good results from encouraging players to build tall. Warping into the unknown with your ship to discover yet another system with just one colony extracting from one zone on a planet makes you feel as if you live in an underdeveloped galaxy. I thought the early Far Cry games were a bit like that. The hub locations just weren't impressive enough - everything felt too even and distributed. Skyrim is the same; there's lots of nice little towns, but nowhere that makes you think, "wow!".

Seeing the lights glow all over every planet makes you feel as if the universe is actually home to great civilizations, not just a few space miners trying to get by. I'm concerned that a population limit that's too low will make it all feel a bit Stargate.

DANIEL: "Once more we have pierced through the starry veil, and on this world is undreamt of life! The first kiss of cultures, yet again, and we are here to see it. Just think, twenty years ago meeting an alien civilization would have been the discovery of the millennium!"
TEAL'C: "I count six individuals, Colonel O'Neill."

SG1 encounters yet another global civilization
Vectorus

Postby Haxus » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:09 pm

It would be nice to be able to name storage devices as well.

Try inscribing.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:12 pm

Can you maybe make the "Storage Device Management" window stay open when deleting things from it? A bit annoying to have to reopen it.

I put it on the to-do list.

Were you aware you could multi select? Including things in different folders.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:16 pm

Does the new ringworld population cap only affect new cities? Or also old cities?

It only affects new buildings.

I am making an effort to leave the old cities unchanged, as much as possible.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:21 pm

Ok I'll come clean on the world population limit. I have some concerns about performance, both client and server side, when the number of buildings on a world gets very large.

I will gladly up the numbers if it proves feasible. It is easier to raise it later, than to lower it and suddenly create a bunch of overpopulated worlds.

Don't get your hopes up for Trantor.
Haxus
Site Admin

Next

Return to Updates